At Kaleidoscope we offer a range of services that we will try and tailor to your needs. These include the following:

Your treatment Journey – what help is available

You can arrange to see us by either phoning us or dropping in. You wlll then be given an appointment to be seen by one of our workers. This will be for an assessment



The substance abuse assessment can be written or conducted verbally.  Sometimes it is completed over the phone.  It normally consists of a series of questions about the frequency of your drug use and how it affects you, your relationships, and your life in general.  You’ll be asked questions like how often do you drink alcohol?  Do you have cravings for your drug of choice? Has your substance abuse caused problems at work or home?  Do you spend money you can’t afford to support your habit? You may be uncomfortable with the personal nature of some of the questions but it’s important that you answer honestly to give yourself the best opportunity for a successful recovery.

The assessment will also give us an idea about the type of treatment that will suit you best. Normally there are 4 types of treatment categories:

Onwards referral: it may be the case that there is another organisation who is better suited to help you and we can put you in the right direction.

Advice and Information: If you just want to talk to someone about what to do, we can offer you a range of advice on various drug/alcohol related issues.

Brief Interventions: Brief interventions usually comprise one to six visits, which may vary in length from 10 minutes to an hour or longer.

What a brief intervention does is motivate you to look at your drinking/drug taking pattern then help and support you to look at ways of making that pattern less risky to your health.

A brief intervention does this in a non-confrontational, non-judgmental way, whereby you are in control. In fact the intervention motivates you to take responsibility for your own drinking/drug taking pattern.  It also encourages you to be aware of any issues affecting your life and health because of the way you consume alcohol or take drugs.

You can leave the intervention at any time, especially if you are feeling too uncomfortable or feel that you are not ready to make any changes to your alcohol/drug use.

Remember a brief intervention is designed for people who drink alcohol/take drugs at risky levels and is not really suitable for those who are dependant on drugs or alcohol.

Structured treatment: this is offered to those people who are generally dependant on drugs or alcohol. Treatment comprises of a more structured programme including prescribing as a substitute to the illicit drug which has been used. Substitute prescribing is most commonly used to help drug users come off heroin. A range of support services are also offered such as counselling and group work.


Work within our structured treatment programme includes:

  • Regular appointments with a worker: Once you have been assessed you will be allocated a key worker, who will work with you to establish a care plan. A care plan will look at how drugs/alcohol affects all aspects of your life and will establish what you want to do to address these and how you will achieve it.
  • One-on-one counselling: if you have particular needs that underlie your drug/alcohol use we can refer you to one of our specialist counsellors for some time limited counselling to help with this.
  • Prescribing service: This will involve you seeing one of our specialist doctors at one of our kaleidoscope offices or specialist GP practice. These services offer medical help for those people addicted to heroin or other opiate drugs. We can also offer home detoxification to people who wish to come off alcohol in their own home.  As part of this programme you will be expected to see a doctor, nurse and worker on a regular basis. You will also be tested on a regular basis to check that you have taken your prescribed drug and have stopped taking illegal drugs
  • Prenoxad Training If you are using heroin or methadone, there is a possibility at some point that you could overdose. If this is the case then it’s important that you get Prenoxad training. Prenoxad is a drug that can reverse heroin overdose, and save lives. Please contact someone at Kaleidoscope if you would like to receive this training. To recognise signs and symptoms of overdose please go to the section “how to deal with Overdose”.
  • Group programmes: We run a number of different groups that will help you understand your drug/alcohol use through shared learning with people who are in a similar position. The groups will help you move on and start to overcome your problems.
  • Needle exchange: We offer a range of injecting equipment and sharps disposal containers depending on your needs across all of our offices. We also give specific advice and information on injecting. Additionally there are a number of chemists across Powys where you can get free supplies of injecting equipment. The chemists that offer this service are as follows:
Brecon Crickhowell Lllandrindood wells Lower Cwmtwrch Newtown Rhayader Welshpool Ystradgynlais
Boots UK Ltd

Unit 8, Bethel Square

Boots the Chemists, Beaufort Street Beaufort Street, Victoria House, Station Crescent Davies Chemist, 43 Gyrnosfa, Gurnos Boots the Chemists, 20 – 21 High St. Rowlands Pharmacy, London House, West St. Boots UK Ltd, 16 Broad St. JG & RJ Davies Chemists, 8 Commercial St.
The Co-operative Pharmacy, 7 The Bulwark Lakeside Pharmacy, Princess Avenue
  • Testing for blood-borne viruses like HIV and hepatitis: Evidence shows that the sooner you are tested for any of these viruses, the better the response will be to treatment. At Kaleidoscope we have linked in with specialist treatment centres that we can refer you onto.
  • Residential services: if, for whatever reason, you cannot be treated in the community we can refer you to specialist treatment services, which include:
  • Inpatient detoxification. If you are not able to quit drugs or alcohol at home, then we can refer you to specialist units which offer medically supervised withdrawal, who can monitor you 24hrs a day.
  • Residential rehabilitation: Once you have stopped taking drugs/alcohol you may find it difficult to cope with life out in the community. For the small group of people who can’t do this, we can refer to specialist residential units. These will involve you being away from home for to 3 months depending on your needs.

Criminal Justice Work

If you have been arrested for possession/supply of drugs or an alcohol/drug related offence, we have a service that can help you that include the following:

Arrest referral: if you have been arrested you can ask to be seen by one of our specialist arrest referral workers. These will see you while in custody and assess your drug and alcohol you and advise you on what to do. Even if you just want some advice, ask the custody sergeant for an appointment. If you are a heroin user you may also be tested for drugs. If this is the case you will be referred to our services for treatment which you must attend.

Court Scheme: We have workers who are based in all the courts across Powys each week. If you would like to see one simply ask in the court, either via your solicitor, probation worker, or Clerk of the Court.

Prison Release: If you have been remanded in custody or have received a sentence for an alcohol/drug related offence, then ask the prison drug service for a referral. Once we have a referral from you we can arrange to ensure that you get access to treatment upon release and ensure that treatment doesn’t stop if you are receiving treatment while in prison.

Probation Work: The Probation service now runs a number of programmes that can help with your drug/alcohol use and can be used as an alternative to custody. If your drug/alcohol use is out of control it might be an idea to speak to an officer in the court for an assessment.

Other services and groups in Powys

Kaleidoscope acknowledges the complexity of alcohol and drug misuse and therefore we need to work with other agencies to provide you with the best possible service possible. In Powys we work closely with a variety of providers including:



Cyfle Cymru Peer Mentoring Service


What is Cyfle Cymru?

Cyfle Cymru Peer Mentors help people to develop confidence, and provide support to access training, qualifications and work experience.

We help people affected by substance misuse and/or mental health conditions to gain the skills necessary to enter the world of work.


What can Cyfle Cymru offer?

One-to-one support from a peer mentor Our peer mentors draw on their own experience of substance misuse, recovery, and/or mental health conditions. They understand what you are going through and can be with you when you face new experiences. Our expertise in treatment and recovery means you can trust us to help you make the right decisions.

Specialist support and opportunities

  • access to qualifications and training
  • A chance to give something back to your community
  • Real-life work experience
  • help to search and apply for jobs
  • continuing support after you enter work, training, or education to help you settle in


Who is eligible?

We can support you towards and into work if:

  • you are aged 16 to 24 and not in employment, education, or training
  • you are aged 25 or over and long-term unemployed or economically inactive
  • you live in the Powys area
  • you are in recovery from substance misuse and/or mental health issues

Get in touch

01686 207 111



Probation: Especially when people have been placed on orders by the courts including Drug Rehabilitation Requirements and Alcohol Treatment Requirements.

Housing and Homeless Services: Specialist housing support for people living in their own homes,or help you accessing housing

Citizens Advice Bureau: Who run drop in services across our offices in Powys.

Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Bronglais Hospital, Aberystwyth: Who provide Hepatitis C treatment.

Birchwood: Who provide inpatient detoxification services on the Wirral.

Community Mental Health Teams: Providing services for people who have substance misuse and mental health problems.

If you want to speak to someone at Kaleidoscope, its simple. Pick up the phone and call us on : 01686 207 111.

This is our single point of contact number, which rings all of our 4 offices, so your call may be answered by a member of staff from anywhere across Powys. The number is operational from 9 until 5, Monday to Friday.

If you have a crisis outside of our opening hours then please call the free national helpline as follows:

Freephone: 0808 808 2234

Or text DAN to: 81066

Alternatively you can also drop in at any of our offices across Powys; the office addresses direct contact details can be found by clicking here